Sunday, September 19, 2010

Soundscape


I believe that sound is affectual, in that with the added form of sound to a visual experience, you not only enhance the experience for the audience but create pictures within the mind, which in effect creates an implicit layering of the experience within the mind of the audience.

Finding the correct sounds for this project has been a challenge. The soundscape I wanted to create would both incorporate the past sounds of the bush particularly the sound of the Tui, the sound of the construction of the APA and the sounds that now emanate from the APA space.

In constructing the soundscape I had to incorporate aspects that represented memory all the while considering the process of change to the space and how could I create this so that the audience experiences this. It is important that time is represented and this is difficult to do, however, if you think about the time it takes for a forest to form and exist with its inhabitants and then the very small time in comparison to deconstruct it to then construct a space of performance, I needed to not only visually represent this but using the soundscape allow the audience to feel this.

Therefore I used various soundclips from online sound stores, these include, violins, cellos, piano, jack hammers, construction vehicles working etc. To gather the forest sounds I was able to access recording by conservationists on Kapiti Island.

I then layered all the sound filtering over each other at specific times to represent the transition through time and space.

Particularly in the third part of the sequence I have used the effect of echo on sound as time and space converge closer, with the voices sung in the APA appearing the forest scene.

Taking into account the space for which I will be installing this piece and how it will be installed, I will be using headphones as part of the installation which the audience will individually wear, hence the installation will be experienced by no more than two people at a time. I will place two headphone sets for use at the same time.

This is also important as some people would be more comfortable experiencing an installation like this with someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment