Monday, October 11, 2010

A Reflection





It has been just over a week since the installation and much time has passed for me to reflect upon it.

My goal was to create an synaethestic experience which took the audience on a journey that explicitly portrayed the changing of what the past space was to the present space, the Academy of Performing Arts.

It was important that I did this using techniques that visually architectured memory, construction, deconstruction and use of space all whilst keeping the audience engaged.

I believe that I achieved this, however, sound became vitally important to endorsing these themes and visual elements. Infact I found the manipulation and placement of sound the most envigorating of all the tasks.

The installation and audience engagement with it surprised me. As previously shown in my blog, the installation provided an aspect of immersion, however while I wished to have the foliage on the installation I did not percieve the feedback from the audience that I attained. Predominately most of those that experienced the installation stated the smell that arose from the foliage affected their experience and highlighted the environmental aspect of the film. Therefore my attempt at bringing the outside in did indeed work, enacting another sense being smell and for that I am truly pleased.

I believe that had I had the money, resources and time, the installation would have truly benefited from being shown within a cacoon-like apparatus, nonetheless not having any of those, I am happy with the mediated result and could not have achieved it without the help of Grant from Mediarena.

The whole experience for me was one of learning about process, techniques, neogtiation and about myself. The blog which I updated at various times I found a good way of keeping record and I enjoyed the blogging style of record keeping it gave me.

The installation on the night was busy with some people disaapointed in not having being able to have a turn and for me that in itself is worth something.

All in all I would say I could and would more than likely continuously improve the installation but was happy with the presentation on the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment