Monday, August 2, 2010

Securing myself through Viola


The reading by Holy Rogers (2006) on the installations of Bill Viola, highlighted for me a very real approach to my work, the fact that video installation creators are often both artist and composer which I have always believed.

Viola's exploration into the manipulation of duration, evident apparently in Anthem, is something that I generally apply to my pieces and is something I will be exploring more within the 'entering the void' scenes of my creation.

I have decided to work first on the Outside In piece, but my exploration of the topic has seen it expand somewhat to the visual representation of the land space changing, from its original form with birds and trees to the Academy of Performing Arts. In doing so I hope to represent the changes through entering a void space reflecting change and begin to morph and replace sounds such as birds singing to voices singing. I hope to use techniques such as jolting and colouration of the film to represent memory particularly of the past land space. The rhythm of the film both through visual editing and sound, will be constructed to create an awareness and heightening of time a technique also used by Viola.

I found alot about Viola's work helpful, especially in highlighting as a Visual Artist, I have shared thoughts and processes.

The image shown, is a piece of work by Bill Viola which portrays environmental some environmental imagery. I retrieved the image from http://www.shift.jp.org/en/archives/2008/02/francois_pinault_passage_du_temps.html

No comments:

Post a Comment